Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Country Music

      I am a lover of country, pop, boy band rock, rock, classical, everything Celtic, some jazz, and some blue grass music. But I would choose country over all the rest of them because I was raised on it and some of my happiest memories have country music tied into them.

      People today seem to have the idea that all country music is about big trucks and beer. That country music is nothing more than the ranting of drunk hicks who recently came back in from the fields where they harvested their latest crop of tobacco, who started drinking and got two words to rhyme.

      I'm here to set those people straight. Yes, some music is about that but that's maybe one percent. Most of it is about family, patriotism, and it teaches lessons that need to be reenforced in the falling apart society. Songs are coming out with titles of "I Just Had Sex", "Blood on the Dance Floor", and "My Humps" which were taboo words a few years ago. Teenager stars are singing songs about those things when they're only 14, 10 year olds are dating, and teenagers are getting pregnant left and right. Country music might have some bad songs but most of them are good songs.

      Country has these things:
- understandable lyrics
- singable lyrics
- reasonable beat
- fun stories or meaningful lessons

      Country doesn't have:
- obscene amount of cussing
- heavy bass that causes deafness
- meaningless hippy words that preach dissing your family and doing drugs
- words describing things that should never be said
- the music videos aren't embarrassing to have your parents see

      I watched a movie, Forever Strong, and it had a part that I really liked. "We will not do anything that embarrasses us, our friends, or our family" I thought that line was amazing because it should be true. If your embarrassed about playing music or saying words in front of your parents then you shouldn't be doing that stuff away from them.

      But I digress from the subject I promised to talk about.

     Country is not the hick's beer song everyone thinks it is, Perhaps people don't listen to it anymore because you can't jump up and down to it, or maybe it's because it makes a person think about things. I like it because it has kept my family rooted in good values and I can sing along to the song (you can't sing along prettily to Smack That.) which is half of why I love it. I don't know who you are but if your reading this just know that just because Country has a few bad songs about beer and trucks, just think of how many songs there are of drugs, sex, and cheating there are in the popular genres? How would they compare to the amount of beer songs in country music?

      I love country and that's why I would choose it over everything else. Country makes a person stop and look at the things that really matter, not just being sexy so you can grind on a random person at a club where fighting and cheating happens every night.


      P.S. This blog was sparked by someone I just met who claimed country music was all about beer, trucks, and more beer. I gently made them think about their words with basically the same words I used in this post, besides, their words weren't even theirs. It was something they heard from someone else who was cooler then them so they decided to copy and try and be "cooler" too.

Irish Princess (in my dreams)
Rabecca


No comments:

Post a Comment