Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wish I Could Skate

      So I'm with my cousins in Utah for Summer Break, the second day we were here we went to the skate park and the girls sat in the grass and chatted while the two boys went on their bike and skateboard and did tricks. It was the first time I've ever been to a skate park and I thought it was really cool.

      I have a skate board but all I can do is stand on it and roll a short way before I fearfully jump off. My cousin can do all sorts or tricks and I stand in awe of him. I wish I could skate like him. My cousin is nice and humble but he can skate so well that even he can't brush it off as "nothing"

      This same cousin told me as we were walking back to the house that the hottest thing he'd ever seen was a girl skateboarding at the park and actually doing tricks instead of rolling around squealing. Most guys wouldn't care much about girls skateboarding but coming from a guy who is "the" skater in our family this was a revelation. It made me start to wonder, guys have hobbies right? Gaming, running, swimming, camping, painting, guitar playing... do they like it when girls can match their skill level or at least keep up with them? Because if girls could meet and date guys who enjoyed the same hobbies they did the world would be much simpler.

      For example; I like playing the guitar and writing, painting, and other artistic things. If I could meet a guy who liked the same things I do then we'd have that much more to talk about. Don't get me wrong, the strong and smart guys who fit the bill for "tall, dark. and handsome" appeal to me too but being able to hang with a guy who laughs at the same jokes I do, enjoys the same things I do, and who doesn't think my dreams are slightly foolish would be a dream come true.

      But where to find a guy who fits my bill?

      Isn't it weird to imagine that your boyfriends, even your husband (or "girlfriends, even your wife" if you're a guy) is growing up right now? That he's doing things and learning in school, getting hurt and getting lessons learned? My question is, where would I find a guy who likes the same things I do without using a website? I could go hang out places that people who like the things I like hang out but that means choosing one thing I like above all else. I like all of my hobbies equally for different reasons. Some are potential jobs, others are for my pure pleasure and won't earn me anything.

     This brings me back to my earlier comment. My cousin found a girl skater hot, and he said she wasn't the prettiest girl to ever cross his path. Would a guy who like writing or guitar playing find me cooler then most of his girl friends because I did the thing he liked to do? I don't know. I wish I could skate like that girl, or play the guitar well enough to feel good about going to a spot where other people who played the guitar hung out so I'd be able to meet guys who played the guitar.

      In short, I wish I could be like that girl I never knew, who had the courage to do what she loved in front of others and in turn, earning the respect of several guys.

      I've begun to find out that guys aren't really all that hard to impress. Some guys like the skimpy clothes and fake faces but most guys I know like smiling girls who are true to themselves. Like I asked around if guys liked this profile pic or that one. Most guys told this one, the one where I was kissing my dog and laughing. I had my other one where I was looking sultry and it was taken from above so you could see all the way down my shirt... the guys liked the playful picture more. That was amazing. Movies and tv would have us believe that girls have to be sultry all the time, but really guys like a girl who can be true to herself and skate in a skatepark and just laugh and have fun. I wish I could be like that girl and be myself enough that I could do something I love and unintentionally catch the interest of guys who liked the things I liked.

Irish Princess (in my dreams)
Rabecca

No comments:

Post a Comment